Brand new for 2023! The CALGARY EXPO Replica Competition challenges makers to recreate a prop or costume piece! This competition asks cosplayers and makers to focus in on one specific item instead of a head-to-toe cosplay look.
Our team of experienced judges will select the Best Novice Maker, the Best Experienced Maker. Attendees of CALGARY EXPO will vote for the Fan Favourite!
Please read all rules and regulations below before registering!
How it works:
The CALGARY EXPO Replica Competition challenges fans to recreate a prop or costume piece. Rather than a full cosplay, this competition asks fans to focus on one specific item instead of a head-to-toe look.
Participants will register in advance. Entrants must register to compete in either the Novice Maker or Experienced Maker category. Novice makers are those who have been fabricating for less than two years and have yet to win any major awards for their work. Major awards include Best In Show, Runner-Up to Best in Show, or Best in Division. Minor awards include Division runners-up, judges/organizers' awards etc. Only Major Awards should be considered for division placement purposes. Makers who have previously won a Major Award at a standard cosplay contest should count that award towards their division placement for this contest.
On the morning Sunday April 30th, contestants will bring their piece, along with supporting materials documenting how they built it, to the gallery area at the show for check in prior to 11:30am. Contestants will install their piece within the gallery area. Please note that if a piece requires any special supports such as a mannequins or custom mounts, contestants will be required to bring the those as well.
Pieces will be on display until 3:30pm on Sunday April 30th. Contestants Can pick their piece up after 3:30pm.
Each prop will be assigned a number. Attendees will vote on their favorite prop by writing the corresponding number down on a piece of paper and submitting it to the Ballot box.
A panel of expert prop makers will judge each piece to determine the best Experienced Crafter and Best Novice Crafter. Contestants will be assigned a time that they can meet with the judges next to their piece to answer any questions.
Judging will conclude at 2:00pm with the winners announced immediately after. Winners can pick up their prizes then or when they retrieve their props at the end of the display period.
Props must be the work of the submitter. No commissioned or purchased finished props are allowed.
Fabrication: Clean edges, paint job, seam and joint work, construction and durability, innovative construction methods.
Materials: believable to the prop, innovative use of unconventional materials, functionality of the design, and execution of simulated materials.
Screen Accuracy: Attention to detail and likeness of the screen version
Sustainability: use of sustainable materials. Props that make use of repurposed or other sustainable materials will also qualify to compete for an additional Sustainability Prize.
A note on 3D Printing: 3D printing will be allowed, but those wishing to enter 3D printed props must provide supporting documentation outlining how they have either designed the 3D print file themselves, and/or significantly altered a 3D print file prior to or post printing. Entrants may use smaller 3D printed components as part of a larger design.
The Following Prizes will be awarded
Best Experienced Maker $100.00 CAD one (1) 4-Day pass to CALGARY EXPO 2024
Best Novice Maker $100.00 CAD and one (1) 4-Day pass to CALGARY EXPO 2024
Fan Favourite: $100.00 CAD and one (1) 4- Day Pass to CALGARY EXPO 2024
Rules and Regulations
Contest Rules and Regulations
1. Contestants must have a valid ticket for Sunday April 30th in order to compete.
2. Contest is open to those 13 years of age or older.
3. Props must be the work of the submitter. No commissioned or purchased props are allowed.
4. Contestants must also submit a description outlining their build process in order to be considered for a cash prize. Additional documentation such as photos are encouraged.
5. Contestants must submit supporting documentation highlighting their use of sustainable materials in order to be considered for the sustainable prize.
6. FAN EXPO reserves the right to disallow any contestants on basis of appropriateness of the prop or costume piece. CALGARY EXPO is a family friendly convention. Items that are deemed to be racist, obscene, or otherwise derogatory will not be allowed to compete. Items with hate symbolism such as swastikas, KKK hoods etc will not be allowed to compete. FAN EXPO HQ staff has the final say on all entries. Their decisions may not be appealed.
7. All props MUST pass Prop Check inspection or be approved by FAN EXPO HQ staff in advance. If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to email@example.com
8. Absolutely no flame or pyrotechnical props or costume items are permitted due to fire regulations.