- All FAN EXPO HQ attendees, exhibitors and staff must comply with all federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations regarding weapons, imitation weapons and props, as well as their usage.
- Attendees are reminded that while travelling to and from the event, to make sure due care is taken on your behalf to ensure any weapons or props, which could cause public alarm, are stored in a bag or in a storage container.
- FAN EXPO HQ attendees are, under no circumstances, allowed to possess or bring to the convention grounds any actual weapons. Unlawful possession of weapons is an offence and will result in denied admission into the convention or prosecution.
- All weapons and props must be in plain sight at all times and are subject to mandatory inspections performed by FAN EXPO HQ staff or security staff. As a general rule, no metal prop weapons are allowed. Additional rules are outlined below.
- Any weapon, prop, or item not covered in this policy must be inspected by security staff at the Prop Check Desk; these items will be dealt with on a case by case basis. Security makes the final decision on whether a weapon or prop will be allowed into the convention grounds.
1. Prop Check Desk
Attendees who come to any FAN EXPO HQ event with a prop will be stopped by show security and sent to the Prop Check Desk. At the Prop Check Desk, security will inspect that your prop complies with the below FAN EXPO HQ rules and regulations regarding props.
If approved, security will issue a tag to be placed in a visible area of the prop. If show security does NOT see this tag on your prop while on the show grounds, you will be asked to leave the convention center and store your prop, or go to the Prop Check Desk to have it checked.
If not approved, attendees have the option of storing their prop in their car, home, or hotel room. There are no refunds given if you are turned away for not adhering to our policy.
For full rules and regulations regarding props, please see below.
2. Guns and Projectile Weapons
Live firearms including airsoft, modern, hunting or historic, either functioning or de-commissioned, are not permitted at any FAN EXPO HQ event. Replica firearms made from metal are not to be brought onto convention grounds; solid resin/plastic/rubber replica firearms may be permitted subject to a thorough inspection. All other firearms/projectile weapons are required to have orange safety tips at all times on convention grounds; however, they can be removable for photography or competition purposes as long as they are re-attached when moving around the convention.
No props or weapons capable of firing any projectile or powder charge of any kind. This is for the safety of both yourself and the people around you. NERF guns and other foam dart guns ARE allowed, but they must not have any foam darts loaded at any time.
Bows and slingshots are allowed, however, they must be de-strung. There must be no capacity to fire any object from the bow or slingshot. Arrows and other items used in bows or slingshots are prohibited.
FAN EXPO HQ does not allow ANY laser pointers to be used on the convention grounds. If you have a laser pointer in your prop or weapon, make sure it cannot function by either removing the batteries or simply not bringing it.
If firearm or projectile props or weapons are deemed unacceptable by FAN EXPO HQ security, attendees will be required to remove the prop or weapon from the convention grounds. Refusal to do so will result in being banned from the event without refund and local authorities being contacted.
3. Swords, Blades, Knives, and Other Melee Weapons
Metal swords, metal knives and other active martial arts weapons are not allowed to be brought onto any of the convention grounds. Failure to comply will result in being banned from the event without refund and local authorities will be contacted.
If you buy a metal sword, knife or martial arts weapons at the convention, this is covered below in Section 5.
Costume swords must be tied to your costume in such a way that they can’t be drawn.
Blunt weapons such as baseball bats and hockey sticks are prohibited.
4. Prop Weight and Shape Restrictions
No items can have sharp points, sharp edges, excessive weight or any other features that could be deemed dangerous to others (E.g. we do not allow metal replica samurai swords, “BB guns/air guns” even if they are not loaded). If the items are not approved during security inspection, they are forbidden on convention grounds. Non-approved items must be securely stored in security, Prop Check Desk, the attendee’s hotel room, vehicle or home. Failure to comply will result in being escorted off the event premises and banned from the event without a refund.
Props with an excessive weight are subject to approval by security at the convention entrances or Prop Check Desks. There is no set weight limit, however, if it is deemed to be too heavy or unsafe, it will be requested that the item is checked at the Prop Check Desk for the duration of the event.
Please consider how heavy your props are because you’re going to either be carrying them all day or be forced to check them in at the Prop Check Desk if they are deemed too heavy to be at the event. The Prop Check Desk is NOT a cloakroom; it is storage for items which FAN EXPO HQ deems unsuitable to be on the convention floor.
Please use your best judgment and discretion by refraining from swinging weapons around, or using them in an intimidating or threatening manner.
5. Items Purchased While at FAN EXPO HQ
Attendees who purchase imitation or replica weapons such as metal movie swords or knives from the Vendors/Exhibitors Hall must not remove items from their original packaging until they have been secured away from the convention grounds.
6. Important Legal Stuff
FAN EXPO HQ will not be held legally responsible or liable for any misconduct, damages, injuries or death resulting from the actions of any FAN EXPO HQ attendee.
Any inappropriate behaviour or misconduct by any attendee will be not be tolerated by FAN EXPO HQ or local authorities.